Once a small, insignificant town in the northwest corner of the great Kingdom of the White Sword, Blackstone has grown over the past five decades to be an economic, military, and political power in this otherwise sparsely populated area. Once a free town, the threat of goblin invasion and the lack of support from the Count of Elvormine or his liege lord, the Duke or Urgand, forced the town council to look elsewhere for their salvation. Thus did Morgan Calathes accept the title of Lord in 1454, and he and his companions defeated the goblin horde.
Since then, Morgan and his descendants have ruled Blackstone with wisdom, bravery, and compassion, and the town has prospered for it. Now more than twice it’s size when Morgan took over, the town is now the second largest settlement in the Duchy of Urdang, and an important waypoint on the spice road from Korrok to Draghold and even further south to Casteal and the Exalted City.
In addition to its importance, Blackstone is also well know – and named for – the large black obelisk that the town was built around. This mysterious object is impervious to all harm, but radiates no magic. It’s stone work baffles dwarves, and the runes that cover its surface confound even the elves of the Gray Isle.